By The Fredericksburg Space Tourism Division
WASHINGTON AVENUE WEST
1200 – Inbuilt 1916/ 1917 for Victor & M.C. Moon, traveling salesman. Architect, Philip Stern. Brick, displaying trendy and oriental infuence, quality work with early tile roof and copper drains.
1204 – Inbuilt 1903 for J. McCalla Boulware, owner of Boulware & Sons, feed and grain enterprise. Queen Anne Victorian Classical type. Observe turned spindle decoration in attic cross gables and detailing of wraparound porch.
1206 – Inbuilt 1906 by E.J.Cartwright and bought in 1907 to Mrs. Augusta (Eugene) Bode. Architect/ Builder, E. G. “Peck” Heflin. Local granite used from Cartwright & Davis Quarry. Chateau Victorian Fashion. The castellated effect is emphasized by the tower and dormers with their elaborate iron decoration.
1208 – Built 1896/1897 for Samuel W. Somerville, President of the Fredericksburg School, President of the Fredericksburg Spoke Works and Member of City Council. Initially frame. Reworked by Frederick Feuerherd in 1920’s with a European flavor added by stuccoing and porch arcade. Mr. Feuerherd was the proprietor of a confectionery retailer on Caroline Road.
1300 – Constructed 1904 for Dr. J. Edward Tompkins for his mom, Mrs. Mary Tompkins, a milliner who owned a hat store. The 1904 tax data give the worth of the house as $350. Builder, Frank Stearns. Combination of Queen Anne Victorian, Colonial Revival and Shingles type. Colonial gambrel roof, upper home windows with diamond panes, and circular bay window.
1302 – Inbuilt 1907 for D. Jackson Boulware, associate with father, J. M. Boulware, in Boulware & Sons, feed & grain enterprise. This Colonial Revival home reflects the long life of the straightforward gable roofed home in American structure custom. Word the variation of the dentil work.
1304 – Build in 1911/1912 for George W. Shepherd, bank president and civic chief. Architect, Philip Stern. Builder, Frank Stearns. Brick. Racked brick joints and patterned chimney tops are trendy details on a very grand Colonial Revival type house. Word that window lintels and keystone, parch columns and different particulars are stone and forged stone.
1306 – Inbuilt 1898 for W. N. Blake of Fredericksburg Milling Firm. Easy Queen Anne Victorian fashion. Only house on Washington Avenue enriched by patterned siding.
1400 – Inbuilt 1925 for J. B. Rawlings. Builder and designer Frank P. Stearns. Colonial Revival type. Alternating triangular and rounded dormer roofs mirror a Renaissance architectural concept. Observe the good-looking brick steps.
1404 – Inbuilt 1896 for W. A. Bell, founder of Bell’s Furnishings. Easy Queen Anne Victorian type with three story tower.
1406 – Inbuilt 1898 for Miss Sarah Cole, later Mrs. W. L. Brannon. Miss Cole was daughter of Colonel & Mrs. E. D. Cole. Builder, Frank Stearns. Queen Anne Victorian type. A later Classical type porch has been changed with the original traditional type. Notice two story bay and stained glass over door window.
1408 – Constructed c.1897 for Colonel E. D. Cole, proprietor of E.D.Cole Coal & Lumber Retailer, an actual estate developer and group leader. Easy Queen Anne Victorian type. Notice gable with interaction of two patterns of shingles and coloured glass accents of attic window borders.
WASHINGTON AVENUE EAST
1301 – Inbuilt 1890 for W. T. Mills. Simplified Queen Anne Victorian fashion with patterned shingles and ornamental woodwork in gable.
1303 – Inbuilt 1896 by W. T. Mills. Late Victorian fashion with echo of Italianate home. Observe the flowery porch trim, eave brackets and patterning of chimney prime.
1305 – Constructed c. 1909 for Charles W. Edrington, City Sergeant. Constructed by E. G. “Peck” Heflin. Queen Anne Victorian and Colonial Revival type. Word elaboration of sample in higher home windows in gable and dormer.
1307 – Inbuilt 1911 for J. Conway Chichester, City Sergeant. Architect, J. Philip Stern. Craftsman type. Broad and horizontal porch with very “artistic” railings. Notice patterning of window panes in upper sash of home windows.
1309 – Inbuilt 1906 by E. D. Cole and bought in 1906 to Joseph “Jake” Goldsmith, owner of Goldsmith’s Clothing Retailer. In 1920 Florence Dickinson Stearns, Poet and Honorary President of Virginia Poetry Society, and spouse of Franklin Stearns, grain supplier, purchased the house. Queen Anne Victorian and Colonial Revival fashion with fan patterned window over entrance door and attic gable.
1311- Inbuilt 1904 for A. P. Rowe, Manager of the Free Lance Star Publishing Company & collector of Metropolis taxes. Builder, E. G. “Peck” Heflin. Extra elaborate version of Queen Anne Victorian and Colonial themes with wealthy brackets of varied sizes.
1401 – Inbuilt 1908 for Granville R. Swift, Lawyer and companion in actual estate with E. D. Cole, also delegate from area to Virginia Legislature and was Fredericksburg Commonwealth’s Lawyer. Queen Anne Victorian and Colonial Revival type blend with wraparound porch.
1403 – Constructed 1906 for Mrs. Suzie B. Saunders, widow of Alexander P. Saunders who was the primary president of Fredericksburg School and the minister of the Presbyterian Church. Simple Queen Anne Victorian fashion with ornamental shingles, dentils and Colonial Revival type details.
1405 – Constructed 1896 by J. A. Taylor, Trustee for Mrs.J.Horace Lacy, previously of “Chatham”, who lived here together with her daughter. Her daughter, Miss Sally Lacy, in 1910 went to China and served as a Presbyterian missionary for 17 years. In 1913 the house was purchased by Mrs. Mary Eckenrode. Her son, Dr. Hamilton James Eckenrode, Jr., was a noted writer and became Historian for the State of Virginia and the Virginia State Archivist. He was chargeable for the set up of the State Freeway Historic Markers. Simple Queen Anne Victorian fashion with ornamental shingling in gable ends. Notice decorative glass transom above door.
1407 – Built c.1908 by E. D. Cole and bought to Rev. R. Aubrey Williams, Minister of the Fredericksburg Baptist Church from 1904-1916. Owned by Richard C. L. Moncure from 1916 to 1927. Mrs. John Lee Pratt of “Chatham” was the subsequent owner till her dying in 1947. This mixture of Queen Anne Victorian and Colonial Revival fashion has double bay windows on front, triple dormer and makes use of two story nook pilasters.
1409 – Inbuilt 1951 for Miss Lucille Massey. Land has belonged to the Trustees of St. George’s Church. Georgian Revival type.
1411 – Inbuilt 1909 for William “Buck” Peden. Constructed by Frank Stearns. Basic Queen Anne Victorian fashion. The unique home on the lot was inbuilt 1890. It was the primary home constructed after Kenmore and was owned by W. Seymour White, Lawyer, Newspaper Editor and Mayor. The 1890 home was moved in 1909 to 1308 Winchester Road, but the kitchen building was utilized by the Pedens. Mr. Peden was a lumber vendor and pickle manufacturer. His new house was constructed of cypress and oak. The home remained within the Peden family from 1909 to 1974. President Cleveland was entertained in the S. Seymour White home after the dedication of the Mary Washington Monument in 1894. When President Eisenhower visited the Mary Washington Monument in 1954, the Secret Service used the Peden home as a main statement middle.
620 LEWIS STREET
Native contractor Frank Stearns constructed this stucco home in 1928 for E. M. Curtis. Of word are the pagoda-like porch, eye-lash dormers and triple windows. This house exhibits the influence of American and European architectural ideals of the 20th Century.
This residential neighborhood was as soon as part of the 863-acre Kenmore Plantation. For years the only house was the Lewis mansion which was inbuilt 1752. Situated on the plantation and never removed from the Lewis residence was a ledge of rocks wanting westward over a small valley. This was a favorite spot of Mary Washington, mom of Betty Washington Lewis, and she or he requested to be buried there. In 1833 a monument to Mary Washington at her gravesite was partially built, however was not accomplished. In 1851 the town of Fredericksburg expanded its boundaries to incorporate this space. Until 1889 the “Kenmore Plain” was only open farmland with the Lewis house and the unfinished monument.
Two events occurred that have been to vary the character of “Kenmore Plain”. One occasion was the advertisement in February 1889 of the auction sale of Mary Washington’s grave and the other event was the chartering in 1890 of the Fredericksburg Improvement Firm. The uproar created by the proposed sale of Mary Washington’s grave induced a movement to buy the grave website and to renew efforts to finish or rebuild a new monument to Mary Washington. The ladies of the nation have been urged to unite and save the grave website.
The Fredericksburg Improvement Company purchased part of the Kenmore tract on the west aspect opposite the Lewis home between the cemetery and Mary Washington grave and subdivided the tract into tons. By 1900 ten new homes have been built dealing with the newly created Washington Avenue. Fourteen more houses have been constructed on the Avenue by 1917. One house was inbuilt 1925 and the last, in 1951.
In 1891 the Fredericksburg City Council on the request of the National Mary Washington Monument Affiliation authorised plans for a 150-foot broad avenue with a parallel roadway and middle grass plot to increase from Lewis Road to the Mary Washington grave and the new road was appropriately named Mary Washington Avenue. Through the years the identify was shortened to Washington Avenue.
Monuments and Particular Points of Interest alongside Washington Avenue
Inbuilt 1752 for Betty Washington Lewis, wife of Colonel Fielding Lewis and sister of Common George Washington, the home is an impressive instance of mid-eighteenth century Tidewater Virginia architecture and renowned for its ornate plasterwork ceilings. Colonel Fielding Lewis was appointed by the Virginia Convention of 1775 as a Commissioner, with others, “to form, establish and conduct a manufactory of small arms at Fredericksburg”. The kitchen and workplace dependencies have been reconstructed through the 1920’s and the Crowninshield Museum was inbuilt 1975.
In 1922 a developer purchased Kenmore with plans to demolish the house or convert it into flats and subdivide the remaining two acres of land. The ladies of Fredericksburg once again organized and mobilized their energies to save lots of and preserve one other historic website. Simply as was required of them in 1867 to determine the Confederate Cemetery, in 1889 to construct the Mary Washington Monument, in 1897 to spearhead the drive for the primary hospital in Fredericksburg, and in 1890 to stop the Mary Washington House from being bought and transported to Chicago World’s Truthful, the ladies of Fredericksburg efficiently raised the required funds to buy the property and the Kenmore Affiliation was shaped. In 1929 the Garden Membership of Virginia was asked to revive the Kenmore Gardens. From this effort Historic Backyard Week in Virginia was born.
George Rogers Clark Memorial
George Rogers Clark was born in 1752 in Albemarle County. When he was five, his mother and father, John and Ann Clark, moved to a household farm in Caroline County the place they lived for twenty-five years earlier than shifting to Kentucky. George Rogers Clark was educated as a surveyor and on the age of twenty left residence to explore Kentucky and the Ohio River area. Through the Revolution Clark rose to the rank of Common in the Virginia militia.
A stone with a bronze pill is erected on Washington Avenue to George Rogers Clark, explorer and conqueror of the Northwest Territory. It’s inscribed: “In grateful acknowledgement of the valor and the strategic victory of General George Rogers Clark, son of old Virginia, the Paul Revere Chapter, Daughters of the American Revolution, of Muncie, Indiana, devote this tablet. No hero of the American Revolution served with more sacrifice, fortitude, and dauntless courage, and no hero has accomplished greater victories against greater odds. The Northwest owes its freedom from the British tyranny to this distinguished patriot and soldier. Dedicated April, 1929.”
Common Hugh Mercer Monument
This statue of Basic Mercer was erected in 1906 by america Government. The sculptor was Edward Valentine of Richmond who did the famous reclining statue of Robert E. Lee at Washington Lee College.
Mercer was a Common within the Revolution and was killed on the Battle of Princeton in 1777. He was a physician who fled Scotland after the Battle of Culloden, the place he had supported the Stuart trigger. He got here to Pennsylvania the place he met Colonel George Washington through the French and Indian Warfare. Mercer moved to Fredericksburg on Washington’s advice to follow drugs and operate an apothecary store.
Basic George S. Patton of World Conflict II fame is a superb, great, nice grandson of Hugh Mercer.
In 1833 the Christian Church was based in Fredericksburg and that yr erected their first church constructing at 1115 Caroline Road. When the Civil Conflict started, the church disbanded, and its church building was used as a hospital. In 1897 the Christian Church reorganized and reworked their unique building. Through the years the constructing on Caroline Road turned insufficient for the church’s wants. In 1962, land was bought on the nook of Washington Avenue and Pitt Road and the present church building constructed. An addition was inbuilt 1983.
Thomas Jefferson Spiritual Freedom Monument
This monument to spiritual liberty was unveiled in a public ceremony on October 16, 1932. Representatives of sixteen of the main denominations in america participated in the commemoration. This monument was moved from its unique website on George Road in 1977.
It was here in Fredericksburg on January 13, 1777, that Thomas Jefferson met together with his committee, George Mason, Edmond Pendleton, George Wythe and Thomas Ludwell Lee, to draft the Virginia Statute for Spiritual Freedom. This famous invoice established the principle that “no man shall endure on account of his spiritual opinions or beliefs. “This Virginia statute was later included into the USA Constitution because the First Modification of the Invoice of Rights.
Yearly at the website of this monument on January 13, the City of Fredericksburg pays homage to Thomas Jefferson and his farsightedness to offer every Virginian and every American his spiritual freedom. Jefferson thought-about this statute drafted in Fredericksburg to be one of many three main accomplishments of his life together with the Declaration of Independence and the establishment of the College of Virginia.
Mary Washington Monument and Meditation Rock
Mary Ball was born at “Epping Forest”, Lancaster County, Virginia (1708-1789), and married Captain Augustine Washington on March 6, 1731. They turned the mother and father of 4 sons and two daughters: George, Samuel, John Augustine, Charles, Betty and Mildred (who died in infancy).
In 1772 Mary Washington moved from “Ferry Farm” to a house in Fredericksburg bought by her son, George Washington. She typically came to this spot to meditate and to wish and requested that she be buried right here. Mary Washington died in 1789 and her grave went unmarked for many years. In 1833, Silas Burrows, a rich New York service provider, agreed to pay for a monument for Mary Washington’s grave and President Jackson laid the cornerstone. Monetary reverses prevented Mr. Burrows from finishing the monument and the shaft was by no means mounted on the bottom. In 1889, the centennial yr of Mary Washington’s demise, a gaggle was chartered with the objective of erecting a brand new monument. The Nationwide Mary Washington Memorial Affiliation erected the current monument and on Might 10, 1894, it was devoted. President Grover Cleveland was the honored visitor and essential speaker. Vice President Adlai E. Stevenson, the Governor of Virginia and different dignitaries have been present.
Situated behind the Mary Washington Monument is the Gordon household cemetery. The Gordons have been 19th-century house owners of Kenmore.
1500 Washington Avenue
Built c.1896 for the National Mary Washington Monument Affiliation for museum and caretaker’s residence. The first residents of the “Lodge” have been Decide and Mrs. John T. Goolrick. Mrs. Goolrick was custodian of the lodge. Decide Goolrick was Decide of the Corporation Courtroom of Fredericksburg for many years. He was one of the city’s outstanding residents recognized for his oratory expertise, and writer of a history of Fredericksburg and biography of Hugh Mercer. In 1966 this property and the adjoining Mary Washington Monument have been deeded to the Metropolis of Fredericksburg. Since 1979 the Kenmore Affiliation has leased this building from the Metropolis. Built of native granite. Reflects playful mixing of Romanesque, Queen Anne Victorian and Colonial parts of the good American architect H. H. Richardson and the firm of McKim, Mead and White. Pink mortar displays use of colored mortars within the interval round 1900.
Fredericksburg’s City Cemetery and Confederate Cemetery
The brick wall encloses two cemeteries. Upon getting into the good-looking iron gates, the cemetery on the left is the City Cemetery based in 1844 by the Fredericksburg Cemetery Company. The cemetery on the correct is the Accomplice Cemetery situated on land bought in 1867 by the Women’ Memorial Association as an appropriate place to reinter the tons of of Accomplice soldiers killed and rapidly buried on the world battlefields throughout one of many earliest Memorial Day providers in the nation on this cemetery. Annually the Women’ Memorial Association decorates the graves of the Accomplice troopers with flags as a part of a Memorial Day program. The spectacular monument within the Confederate Cemetery was devoted in 1884 “To the Confederate Dead”. It has a granite base and life-size bronze statue of a Accomplice soldier on gown parade.
The Federal troopers killed within the area in the course of the Civil Warfare are reinterred within the Fredericksburg National Cemetery (situated on Marye’s Heights) which was established in 1865 by america Authorities.
5 Accomplice Generals are buried in the cemetery together with numerous different Accomplice Veterans. One of many extra fascinating veterans buried here is Lucy Ann Cox who accompanied her Accomplice soldier husband for 4 years and was made an honorary Confederate Veteran. Her tombstone reads “A sharer of the toils, dangers and privations of the 30th Va. Infy. C.S.A. from 1861-1865”.
Research and textual content by Barbara P. Willis and John N. Pearce.